Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The exact opposite of a picture dump.

Today, instead of figuring out a way to post my St. Paul's pictures all big and pretty, I looked at MA programs in International Relations at Columbia and NYU. I had a very long talk last night with my grandmother about Purpose and Life and what in the world I am going to do since I obviously will not be furnishing her with some great-grandbabies to play with in her twilight years.

That got me thinking (again) about how I've been home for five months, and how this has been going for five months, and what have I really done, both for myself, for my career goals, and to simply get out of here again. I really don't want to get into a huge personal introspection because this isn't the blog for that, but I do want to say that although I haven't been posting quite as much as the first couple months, I am still very much committed to this list and achieving as much of it as I can in the next 2.25 years. Although I've only completed two small goals so far - dancing in the rain and picnicking with a friend + wine - it seems to me like I've done a lot more. And in a way, I think that is objectively true, because I ended up setting a LOT of goals that either have weekly components (most notably the SPT and the articles), or that are more loosely multi-stage ones on which I've already begun progress. Scrolling down the master list, there is a good amount of terra cotta, and I'm pleased about that.

Before I began, one of my brothers pointed out that the list might seem a bit less daunting if I laid out a plan to complete five or six goals each month. While I think I might have a few too many huge goals (read the complete works of Salmon Rushdie, for instance) for that to be 100% feasible, I pretty much have a regular enough schedule that I am going to start setting aside blocks of time to sit down and work on certain projects. One of the major reasons I decided to make this list and put a time line on it was that I didn't want to stagnate while at home and just sit in front of the computer and TV every night, so I find it somewhat ironic that I need to schedule this me time because I'm spending too much time out of the house hanging out with my friends.

So here's the deal. Tonight I'm going to read A LOT, and tomorrow I'm going to open up ye olde google calendar and start blocking off some time for the next two weeks. Agenda: writing time, reading time, sewing time.

/Blogging time.

0 comments: