Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Travel Goals

5. Go to the Continent.
6. Go to Alaska.
7. Go to Indonesia.
23. Visit at least 25 cathedrals.
24. Swing on 101 unique swing sets.

26. Spend at least 24 consecutive hours on an Amtrak train.
27. Go to Antigua.
30. Go to Islands of Adventure.
32. Go to Big Sur.
60. Stand at the foot of a mountain. Possibly climb up it a little bit.

Details


Posts detailing my progress on any goal in this category will receive the "Travel" tag. Only goals 23 and 24, cathedrals and swingsets, will have their own additional tags.

5. Go to the Continent.

Aside from the Caribbean and the Gulf coast of Mexico, the only place outside the US that I've been to is London. Seriously, not even anywhere else in England. I first spent three weeks on vacation there during the (epic heat wave) summer of 2006, and later returned to study for the fall semester of 2007 at Queen Mary University in the East End. While most of my fellow students were flying off on Ryanair every weekend to spend 36 hours in some other European city, I decided that I was in London to be in London. While I don't regret that decision at all, I do still want to get to continental Europe sometime in the next two-point-seven-five years. This goal will be fulfilled if I am able to spend at least 72 consecutive hours somewhere between Portugal and the Ukraine, though preferably I would like to do this for longer, or more than once.



6. Go to Alaska.

My idea of a dream vacation is a week-long stay in any city with a history that reaches back to ancient times. If that includes a daytrip out to the surrounding countryside, awesome, but if not (as happened in London), no biggie. I'll entertain myself either way. Alaska is on my list because I want to make nature the primary destination of my trip. Whether I fulfill this goal by taking a cruise, flying directly there to visit extended family, or get kidnapped by Todd Palin and a band of Alaskan Independence Party freedom fighter/snowmobilers, as long as I spend at least 72 hours there and am able to see a glacier, it's all good.



7. Go to Indonesia.

Not only is Indonesia probably the diametric opposite of both Alaska and Rome, it is also not a destination that was on my radar a year or two ago. After reading Cradle of Flavor, a combination cookbook and travelogue about Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia, I've been completely fascinated by the fusion of cultures there. Yes, I would like to visit India, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Sri Lanka... all of those places are on my lifelong travel wishlist. But right now, Indonesia is the most compelling nation on my list.



23. Visit at least 25 cathedrals.

When I took Art History in my freshman year of college, 90% of the reason why was because I wanted to take the 200 level course on the history of architecture which required it as a prerequisite. I didn't end up taking the class, due to scheduling issues sophomore year, but about one fifth of the introductory class was devoted to the great works of architecture in the ancient, medieval, Renaissance, and modern eras. It made me happy. Instead of just vaguely enjoying or disapproving of a building that I see now, I take notice of the form and structure of it, and consciously note the way the component parts fit together to make an elegant or awkward building.

In particular, I love to be inside of cathedrals. I think they're wonderful. I fell in love with Vassar because its library reminded me of a cathedral. I've been inside the National Cathedral in Washington, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, and Southwark Cathedral in London, and I yearn to see more. While 25 is a tall order, especially because there are very few cathedrals of note in the United States, I hope that if I can spend at least a week in Europe, I will be able to almost fulfill this goal. I will also count trips to mosques, synagogues, and Asian temples of any sort to this goal because discrimination is bad for your health, and also, I love mosaic tiles, menorahs, and bells.

Cathedrals admired: 1



24. Swing on 101 unique swing sets.

I'm not a religious person. My undying love for cathedrals is purely architectural. The closest I ever come to what might be described as a "spiritual experience" happens when I'm on the swings. Ridiculous though that may sound, it's true. Point is, I want to seek out 101 new "spiritual experiences" and swing on 101 unique swingsets anywhere in the world. I'll post pictures and a short blurb about the location of each venture under the "Swingsets" tag.

Swingsets swung: 8



26. Spend at least 24 consecutive hours on an Amtrak train.

Manifest destiny.



27. Go to Antigua.

Perhaps it's just the postcolonial scholar in me, but I really want to visit Antigua. I've been to the Bahamas, and I want to go to Martinique, eventually, but since reading two of Jamaica Kindcaid's books, I have felt drawn to explore the streets of St. Johns and the beaches and just. Be there. As with Alaska, I will consider a cruise stop on Antigua fulfillment of this goal, but I would prefer to fly and stay a few nights, something I think will be much easier to do in the next six months as I'll already be in Florida.



30. Go to Islands of Adventure.

Again, something to do while I'm in Florida. I grew up an hour from the Orlando theme parks, and three hours from Busch Gardens in Tampa. I have been to Disney World more times than I can count, and for two years my family had season passes to Sea World and Busch Gardens. I have never been to Universal Studios, nor to its sister park, Islands of Adventure. I'm not entirely sure why, but since they have a fine array of roller coasters and other Fun Things To Do, I'm sure it won't be that hard to make it over.



32. Go to Big Sur.

A Confederate General from Big Sur. Read it; love it.



60. Stand at the foot of a mountain. Possibly climb up it a little bit.

I think there is something uniquely powerful about standing at the bottom of a mountain and looking up, rather than the other way around. I'm sure it feels perfectly wonderful to feel as though you've conquered the entire world, but I'm being realistic here. I don't think I have the constitution for mountain climbing, and I think that's okay. I still want to visit a mountain (with a prominence of at least 2000 meters) and stand next to it and feel very small and human.



0 comments: