Friday, August 28, 2009

Music Goals

4. Discover AND LIKE 101 new bands or solo artists.
28. Find out with certainty why "A Save Situation" is named after a baseball thing.
29. Visit an old house on the Danforth.
34. Clean out itunes ratings; begin anew with Standards. Have more than half the library genuinely rated by the end of the 1001.
51. Make a real green dress.
62. Stand on a cliff and throw little things off.
75. Begin and maintain a mixtape-exchange between friends for one year.
76. Listen to "Goodbye Sky Harbor" as I'm leaving Sky Harbor.
77. Follow at least 10 pieces of advice from Everybody's Free.
92. Stand on a frozen lake.
99. Drink a Soco Amaretto Lime.
100. Remember a pretty good year.

Details


A lot of these goals might appear to be miscategorized. They are not. I promise.

4. Discover AND LIKE 101 new bands, solo artists, or albums.

Straightforward enough for a normal person, but I specifically added "albums" to this goal because I have a terrible problem where I grow accustomed to hearing a particular singer's voice singing the songs I have by them, and then have an extraordinarily difficult time with anything they put out after that point. I know, it's really weird and strange and probably annoying as well, but that's just the way I am. It doesn't matter whether the next album I hear is an artist's second or twelfth, if it's new, I probably won't like it. So I'm going to accumulate new music on a fairly regular basis (feel free to recommend something on this or any "Music"-tagged post!), listen to it a few times through , and begin to integrate it into my library, if I like one or two songs. Most updates to this tally will simply occur in the weekly round-up post, but I am sure that if I find something particularly awesome that I can't wait to share about, it will get its own post.


New artists approved of: 7



28. Find out with certainty why "A Save Situation" is named after a baseball thing.

Feels like I've been asleep for days...



29. Visit an old house on the Danforth.

She loves me and her body keeps me warm...



34. Clean out itunes ratings; begin anew with Standards. Have more than half the library genuinely rated by the end of the 1001.

I have about 6000 songs in my itunes library. I listen, on a regular basis, to about 1600 of them. This is mostly a product of the ratings system, which I started when I got my first ipod in high school. While these ratings have obviously not been completely static, I... well, basically, I got into a rut and stopped listening (mostly) to anything not rated four or five stars. It's time to start over and it's time to give all my music an equal opportunity to make it into what will (I'm sure) be the new rut.



51. Make a real green dress.

Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman...



62. Stand on a cliff and throw little things off.

I go through all this before you wake up...



75. Begin and maintain a mixtape-exchange between friends for one year.

Everybody likes mixtapes. Everybody likes to talk about sending mixtapes to each other. I will be an organizer and, like, secret-santa-y, or something, and everyone will make and send mixtapes and be happy! This "one year" thing is totally arbitrary and will be open to changing based on interest. Everyone will make and send at least one mixtape and receive at least one in return. Sign up on this post if you're interested!



76. Listen to "Goodbye Sky Harbor" as I'm leaving Sky Harbor.

He said, "I am but one small instrument."



77. Follow at least 10 pieces of advice from Everybody's Free.

List of which ten will be posted at a later date.



92. Stand on a frozen lake.

Let's get together and talk about the modern age...



99. Drink a Soco Amaretto Lime.

Everybody wake up (wake up!) everybody wake up it's time to get down...



100. Remember a pretty good year.

They say you were something, in those formative years...

Actually, this one gets a real description of what it means. On one (or all) of the December 31sts that occur during the next 1001 days (ie, 2009, 2010, and 2011), while everyone else is setting down their New Year's resolutions, I'll be writing down everything I remember happening to me in the prior year - all the good things. For a fleeting moment, I had an idea about making separate lists for good and bad things and, as an act of catharsis, burning the "bad" list. Then I remembered that I'm not fifteen. So instead, I'll just make a list of all the good things and squirrel it away somewhere to find the next time I go through all my things.



2 comments:

Ali said...

I've always thought back to "Everybody's Free" at appropriate times and taken it as some sort of truth. "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't." It always makes me feel better when I'm not so sure what I'm doing next, like now.

Cari said...

I have always loved that song. "Dance. Even if you have nowhere to do it than in your own living room."