Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Half a Dozen Books...

Right now I have six books on my bed. In order of their arrival here, they are:

1) Euripides III

2) Expert Legal Writing

3) "I Heard You Paint Houses": Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran & the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, & the Last Ride of Jimmy Hoffa"

4) The Handmaid's Tale

5) Children's Writer's Word Book

6) Writing Picture Books

Variety! The Handmaid's Tale counts towards the Classics reading goal, and the two children's writing books clearly have to do with translating this into a fully-fledged story. (Hint: it involves hitchhiking! No, really, it's okay though. Probably.)

The Greek dramas (supplemented by a volume of Aristophanes comedies in my purse) are light research for supplemental brain learnin'. Yeah I dunno. I just felt inspired to take out some ancient culture from the library. It may or may not have something to do with my percolating idea for NaNoWriMo this year. We'll see.

I checked out "I Heard You Paint Houses", et al from the library today on a whim, pure and simple. I did that thing on Wikipedia where you just keep clicking the intratextual links in the articles until you end up really far away from your starting point... I went from The Golden Girls to Jimmy Hoffa, only, it only took one click. Sofia apparently once claimed to know what happened to him. So clearly that meant I should check out the first book I found at the library about him, right? Right.

And finally, I bought the legal writing book to sort of start preparing myself for law school. When I started college, I was a little behind most of my peers academically because I graduated 14th in my high school class... in Florida. Brightest crayon in the 16-pack of classic colors, but the 64-pack of college includes those damn neons and metallics and, well. Metaphor beat to death, but you get it. So I googled around a little and found that the columns collected in this book assisted practicing lawyers in writing their briefs. One day, I hope to be a brief-writing, practicing lawyer, ergo I should read the book. Maybe I'll get luck and it will teach me how to make that paragraph more interesting?

0 comments: