Wednesday, September 16, 2009

$1, Bob, $1.

Today I donated my first dollar towards my breast cancer charity goal. Technically it wasn't by doing a sanctioned Walk for the Cure (in fact, I didn't even walk at all except from the car into the restaurant and back), but it's still going to cancer research. I decided to get lunch today at Firehouse Subs and they had a donation box set out for the American Cancer Society. Since I cashed my first full-time paycheck (ever!) yesterday, and proceeded to buy myself two bottles of celebratory wine to commence the wine connoisseur goal, number 53, it seemed like a good idea to also give something back.

I've tried to do this sort of thing periodically from time to time; after a big shopping splurge in New York, I'd keep change in my pocket to give to a homeless person. Most memorably, I gave all the change in my wallet (except for enough quarters for emergency bus fare) to a homeless man in Portland after buying a $2 truffle.

In other, mid-week news, I've commenced goal #93, Learn to identify ten things under the hood of a car and how to tell when they break, thanks to a Facebook quiz to that effect. I got 40% right, but the only one I knew for sure was that a muffler is on the exhaust pipe. Anyways now that I have a car, I'm sure at some point someone will be able to help me identify things that can go horribly, horribly wrong under there, and I'll never want to drive again...

I just went downstairs to get the mail and! I'm glad I hadn't hit post yet. The Economist came! Hooray! I'm reading through "The world this week" right now (in between tasks, of course!), which certainly won't be posted as one of the three articles, never fear. It looks like there's a lot of juicy stuff about Obama and health care, British foreign policy, and, of course, the cover story, "Wall Street: One year on, what's changed?" I am so very, very, very excited to finally have a subscription!

0 comments: